Recent Posts

Monday, April 04, 2011

Review: May Day

I finished reading "Fahrenheit 451" on my way to New York (review coming soon!) and needed a book for the plane ride back to Chicago, so while I was at BOOKMARC, I picked up a F. Scott Fitzgerald novella. OBVIOUSLY this book caught my eye for the cover.
"May Day" is part of the "The Art of the Novella" series from Melville House, and BOOKMARC sold about three different stories from it. The covers for the series are so simple and in various bold colors, and reminded me of the Wallpaper* City Guides I collect. I'd love to see them all lined up on my bookshelf, or in this lovely gift tote bag (hint hint):



Anyway, Fitzgerald made me fall in love with the idea of the novella. I could not put this book down and was annoyed with any interruptions. I finished it before we were even half-way to Chicago and wanted to read it over and over again. In fact, I may have just convinced myself to read it again tonight.

One of the reasons I loved this work was the way it was told. Fitzgerald writes of the May Day riots of 1919 through the experiences of characters at different levels of the social ladder. The characters experiences gradually weave together to create a story that escalates quickly and doesn't disappoint the reader in the end.

The girl who rang me up at BOOKMARC told me she absolutely loved this story, but that it was a little darker than Fitzgerald's other work. I agree. Although this story involves a lot of partying and nonsense, there is a sort of sad tone throughout the piece.

I don't want to spoil anything because I'd really love for everyone to read this. You can read the entire novella online by CLICKING HERE, thanks to the University of South Carolina.

I'd like to hear what other people thought about "May Day". So if you've read it, leave a comment with your own little review.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis