Recent Posts

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Review: Bright Shiny Morning

Last night I finished readying James Frey's "Bright Shiny Morning". I found it for $5.99 in the bargain section at Barnes & Noble a while back and since I loved "My Friend Leonard" so much, I decided to give it a try.


I read the first half of this book in one sitting. It was great. The characters really pulled me in and I loved how they all had one thing in common: living in L.A.. While reading their sections, you would get either a sense of impending doom or undying optimism for their stories and that kept me turning page after page.

Another thing I really enjoyed was the history of the city of L.A. that is woven into the book. The book begins with the founding of the city and a major landmarks in the city's history are used to break-up chapters.

When I finished reading BSM, I decided I really do like James Frey and I might even give "A Million Little Pieces" a chance. Frey's writing is realistic in the sense that sometimes bad things do happen to good people, but wonderful things can happen as well. He doesn't always write a happy ending but in real life, not everybody has a happy ending.

I swear I find the best books in the B&N bargain sections.

2 comments:

James said...

oh, very nice.. i'm def. gonna read this. i added it to goodreads a few days ago :)

Anonymous said...

I loved A Million Little Pieces. I have My Friend Leonard, but I haven't read it yet. You should definitely give AMLP a try!

I love your blog by the way!

-ninamarie

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis